Thursday, September 24, 2009

Pottery

My husband is ill. I gave it to him. This is my excuse for taking a week to write about the fantastic anniversary weekend with which he surprised me last week. Back in July he told me to clear my calendar for a weekend in September. Hmmmm . . .

Then, not only did he make weekend arrangements, get this, HE MADE BABYSITTING ARRANGEMENTS! Complex ones involving a babysitter for the babysitter. Husbands don't do that do they? (Now if he'd just make date night arrangements, including babysitting . . . I know, let's not get carried away).

A week before we left, he got sick and tired of all my questions (Do I need to bring my passport? My bathing suit?) and spilled the beans. This is where we went. This is where we stayed. Nice huh? This is a part of our new state of residence I've been wanting to explore. It was peaceful. It was lovely. It was yummy. Oh, and Saturday night I was stricken with a sore throat and fell asleep about 8pm. Oops.

We ate chocolate and slept late, and watched the food channel and went shopping.

We even started to miss our kids. We got back and Ethan started yammering on and on and Matt says This is why we don't talk.

It's been nine years. Good days, bad days and some in between. I was quite the commitment-phobe when we started all this. But I have to say, I'm glad I decided to go for it. I can't imagine where I'd be if my kind, intelligent and good-natured husband hadn't looked beyond my flaws (as he still does every day) and saw something worth fighting for. I'm still a work in progress, as is this marriage and our little family. Every day. It's still worth fighting for.

Did you know that 9 years is the pottery anniversary. So I'm told. It kinda makes sense when you think about it. You take this lump of clay, or say two lumps, smoosh them together, add a little water to make it stick, shape, smoosh, shape, all the while you keep on spinning through your every day duties, still trying to smoosh and shape together. Even to figure out just what shape you're going for. After some time, it begins to take shape, to really start to evolve in to a beautiful form. But it's not done yet. There's still the fiery kiln of trials that harden and solidify the piece. And then some time to cool and set. Then the shiny glaze, more time to dry and voila! That lump of dirt has become something that is not only beautiful, but functions well.

We didn't buy any pottery--maybe I need to learn to make my own.



1 comment:

Brown Family said...

The pottery year, huh? We'll have to remember that ... although we won't do anything nearly as cool as you did! So glad you had a blast!!!