Monday, December 7, 2009

Pajama Time

I sometimes feel a bit sheepish about the fact that I walk Ethan out to catch the bus at the end of our driveway in my pajamas (lately I've mostly just felt COLD). Sometimes I feel like holding a sign up to explain to all the cars passing me by on their way to work that says "Hey!! I've been up working since 6 am--this is my uniform! Don't judge me!" But then I don't feel so bad when, on the occasion I pick him up from school in the afternoon, I'm waiting outside the school with moms in their PJs at 3:30 pm. Perhaps they consider their own "Don't judge me" signs for my benefit. Perhaps they don't care.

Then today, it happened. Ethan missed the bus. Mostly my fault. So we jumped in the freezing car and headed to school.

Can I just drop you here?

Will you just walk me across the bus lane so I'm sure to be safe mom?

Can you argue with that?

So, I got out of my minivan with my bed-head tucked under my hoodie, dressed to the nines in my pj bottoms covered in pink hearts. Apparently I'm no longer the carefree college co-ed who once for fun went grocery shopping with my roommates with our wet hair wrapped up in towel-turbans. No, I have to admit I did feel a bit embarrassed as I walked with all these well dressed parents dropping their kids off before heading to work. Where did I put my sign?

Maybe on this sign I'd write something like "Hey, it doesn't matter what I wear to work! I had a conference call yesterday in just my bra!" Then again, perhaps they'd get the wrong impression about my job. (My shirt was just in the dryer--it's not like it was a video conference anyway!--I hope my boss doesn't read this). Maybe I've become too nonchalant with the whole working from home thing. Maybe I'll start getting up at five, so I can be showered and dressed up by 6 to start work . . . on second thought, I'll stick to stumbling from my bed the whole five feet to my office door, rubbing sleep from my eyes as my computer boots up, working for a couple of hours, doing the whole mom thing for a few more hours, and getting showered by noon (most days). Just don't come knocking on my door in the morning. Unless you're coming to see my new pjs.

2 comments:

Bradley Moss said...

Ha, ha!!! I love it! I wanna see those pink heart pjs!
Shawnda

Brown Family said...

Your pjs sound a lot more girly than mine. :) I go back and forth between caring and not caring ... although usually it's just when the kids forget to shut the door to the minivan do I have to get out ...